Monday, September 10, 2007

The End of "Red Devil" Cancer Chemo

Hi everyone, I have made it through my last "Big Red Devil" chemo treatment.

Sort of anyway. My white count has gone down to 300, which is the lowest I have had so far and my red counts have also gone very low. My doc was out of town so I saw her associate. I was given antibiotics to take and we passed on a shot for my red count since I had such a bad reaction to the last one (given in the hospital). I developed a rash, first little itchy splotches then lots of red bumps, on my arms, legs, chest, stomach and then my back. I was putting Calydryl lotion on all of it because it itched so bad I could not sleep. This went on for a week. I do not want to go through that again if we can avoid it. Because my counts have gone down so low I have no energy, shortness of breath if I move around very much, coughing, and my pulse goes up just going into the kitchen to fix a meal or to water the plants on my screened porch. I sometimes wonder just how much damage the chemo has done to my heart. I guess I will try to find out when I see my doctor next week.

The next chemo is Taxol. Taxol is suppose to be hard on the heart also and I wonder about the cumulative effect both will have on my heart. My Red and White Blood counts will be affected also. I thought I was pretty healthy in general, could loss a little weight and tone up some but had not had any major problems before finding the breast cancer. All the test (EKG, Mugga Scan, CT Scan, Stress Test, etc.) have not shown a problem but how much can the heart take. Sometimes it feels like it is going to beat out of my chest. I am not use to sitting and doing nothing. Just sitting here doing this blog entry I can feel my heart beating hard. My chemo nurse said that Taxol is a chemo drug that many people have allergic reactions to and they recommend giving the first treatment in the hospital so if there is a reaction you will get immediate attention. Sometimes I wonder if I will make it through all this, and sometimes I wonder if my husband will make it through.
He has been wonderful and has been doing his best to make me take care of myself. He is my hero!!! I would be lost without him.
I will let you know what happens next week. Keep checking back and let me know if you have any info that my readers would find helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know your feelings on this blog and any addition information you may have.