Monday, May 4, 2009

Visiting Cardiologist to get off Ace Inhibitors from Cancer Treatments

Wednesday I go to the Cardiologist for an Echo cardiogram. I have to talk to him about getting off the Ace Inhibitors as one of the side effects is a cough. A dry hacking cough that after almost 2 years feels worse to me than the reason I started taking them. When you take Herceptin it can effect how your heart pumps blood (the strength of the pumping action). With the combination of a beta blocker and ace inhibitor my cardiologist was able to get my reading back up high enough for me to finish the full treatment (52 weeks) with Herceptin. I finished that two months ago and I really hope that when I see him Wednesday he will be able to take me off the Ace Inhibitors. I had already been taking the beta blockers due to a rise in my pulse rate when I was put on Taxol but I was only given the ace inhibitor last July. When it first started making me cough I thought it might be allergies so I went to the ENT and he gave me a prescription for Singular ($100.00 for 30 days). I tried it but did not make that much difference. My oncologist office had a new doctor start and I was transferred to him. The first time I saw him I told him about the cough and he said it was from the Ace Inhibitor. Telling me it was a common side effect. My surgeon told me the same thing last time I saw him. Well, now the coughing has gotten so bad that to me it is worse than the heart problem. I cough all day long. Anytime I have to talk for any length of time my throat wants to make me cough. You know that tiny little "I have a Hair in my Throat" cough that just won't go away. You suck on throat lozenges, take cough medicine, hot tea, anything to try to make it go away. I have sucked on so many cough drops I have gained 10 pounds in the last 6 months. And menthol drops make it worse. Well, enough complaining, I just plan to get off these and maybe I will quit coughing and will also be able to sleep. Haven't done much of that in the past 9 months because of the cough. If anyone has had this type of problem and has a solution to it please let me know, I would greatly appreciate it.
Good health to you all, Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know your feelings on this blog and any addition information you may have.