Sunday, July 19, 2009

Lou Gehrig's Disease, VA Benefits, Widow's Benefit


I know my column is about my cancer and cancer information but I like to read Dear Abby everyday. This has helped me find out some great information for family and friends. Including the Heart Kit for Women and more.

In a recent column I found out some information that I feel should be out there for everyone who is a veteran or veteran's widow/widower. Anyone who knows of anyone in this situation should also pass on this information.

This information was sent in by Fred Campbell, EX-POW and Chairman of VA outreach for American Ex-Prisoners of War who wanted to alert all veterans (not just former POWs) of a recent VA ruling.

On Sept 23 2008, Lou Gehrig's disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, was made a presumptive condition for all veterans who served in our armed forces for at least 90 days.

This means that the widows of those veterans who died of Lou Gehrig's disease in years past are eligible for the VA widows' monthly benefit, which is very substantial.

Many people are not aware that a veteran's death due to this disease is now considered service-connected. Fred states in his letter that he helped on one claim that involved an ALS death 46 years ago, in 1963.

Fred Campbell can be contacted at 3312 Chatterton Drive, San Angelo, TX 76904 and can be e-mailed at fredrev@webtv.net


I will continue to read Dear Abby and pass along anything I feel is of help.


Good Health and Happiness to all
Leigh

Please check out my eBay site for more great items for sale to help me pay my medical bills.

2 comments:

  1. If a person just passed away with this disease and the only service time he had was National Guard for 3-4 months during the Berlin Crisis and served here in the USA is the wife of that service person eligible for DIC?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, you should call the Dept of Veterans Affairs at 1-800-827-1000.This will get you to your nearest VA regional office. You should ask to speak with a service officer about their ALS claim for COMPENSATION, not pension. This will expedite the claim process. This is the information given by Fred. I hope it helps you.

    ReplyDelete

Let us know your feelings on this blog and any addition information you may have.